I used to despise making this Lemon Meringue Pie…but now that it is Mike’s birthday request, I have gotten better at it. Not only is it his favorite it is also my dad’s and father in law’s favorite dessert, so needless to say I have made it quite a few times in the last few years. NOW I can whip this bad boy up in about 25 minutes. (shhhh..don’t tell them that ☺)
I remember the 1st time attempting this pie when I was about 12 with my cousin for my dad- the meringue wouldn’t get fluffy. Fast forward to when Mike and I got married, we attempted it again..2 cartons of eggs later..same issue. Now I can do it without any issues! Very exciting stuff.
Some tips however- 1..use a mixer instead of trying to whip it by hand. 2..Make sure your bowl is clean.3.. Make sure there isn’t any yolk in the egg whites. And 4..give it a few minutes before you give up. LOL
I used a store bought pie crust because we have been super busy lately, so that really saved some time. So bake the crust according to the directions, then while that is baking move on to the next steps.
For the filling-combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in a sauce pan. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and water to the pan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture slowly starts to boil and thicken. Then stir in the butter until it melts. Temper the eggs yolks by adding a little of the hot mixture to the eggs in a separate bowl, than stir back into the hot mixture. Let cook a little longer until thickened. Pour mixture into baked crust.
For the meringue- using a electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form (this takes a few minutes). Then slowly add sugar to taste. Pour meringue over the filling and seal the edges. Using a spoon, swirl to create texture. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until the meringue tips are golden brown.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 pie crust
- 2 lemons (zest & juice)
- 1 cup sugar (+ 4 tbsp for meringue)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs (yolks & whites separated)
- Bake crust at 350 according to package.
- Zest and juice 2 lemons.
- Combine zest juice, sugar, cornstarch, flour, water and salt in saucepan.
- Cook over medium until slow boil and thickened.
- Stir in butter.
- In a separate bowl, gently beat egg yolks and add a couple tablespoons of the hot mixture to the eggs to temper it. Then add eggs back into the sauce pan.
- Cook a few more minutes until thickened.
- Pour into baked crust.
- In electric mixer, whip the eggs whites for a few minutes until foamy, then until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add 4 tablespoons of sugar to the meringue.
- Pour the meringue over pie filling, sealing edges.
- Use a spoon to make swirls and and folds in the meringue.
- Bake for a bout 10 minutes at 350 until the meringue is golden brown.