One more healthy recipe for you for our January goals…wink wink…I try to make this Cabbage Soup once a year and freeze it in individual containers to take for my lunch. It is packed with veggies.. I actually call it my power veggie soup, but it tastes like my moms cabbage soup. This is vegetarian, gluten free, and loaded with the good stuff. I feel good after eating a bowl (or two).
Don’t let the name deter you from trying it because it is delicious and good for you! My mom always made Cabbage Soup, but if she didn’t I probably would never try it. I promise you- you will like it. My version has a little bit of heat to it too.
I let it simmer for about 2 hours but of course you could make it in the Instant Pot or in the slow cooker. I received a shiny pretty new set of pots and pans for Christmas that I was excited to use, so I cooked it low and slow traditionally on the stove top.
The stock is super easy- I use one big jug of spicy vegetable juice (V8 or similar). Dice your veggies, saute the carrots/onions/celery, and then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until veggies are tender. Reap the benefits and ENJOY!
- 1 (64 oz) bottle Spicy Tomato Juice
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 5 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 cups green beans (ends removed, chopped)
- 1 head cabbage (core removed, chopped)
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans
- 4 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large (8qt) stock pot, heat olive oil and add carrots, onions, and celery.
- Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add juice, water, garlic, tomatoes, green beans, and cabbage.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stir and simmer covered for about 1-2 hours.
*tips- to reduce simmer time, chop veggies and cabbage into smaller pieces
In need of a new soup pot? I highly recommend this pot by Cuisinart!
**Stefseastadsweets.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates program, I make profit on purchases made through this link to Amazon.com