Do you love lasagna but don’t have the time for all the steps? Then you should make this Baked Campanelle with Meat Sauce. This has all the layers of pasta, ricotta, meat sauce, and Italian cheeses but with less work!
You can use any short noodle (penne, macaroni, etc) but I used Campanelle pasta from Kroger for something a little different. Then I made an easy meat sauce and added layers of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. Once again, just a few ingredients come together quickly for a hearty winter meal!
We are fortunate to have both sets of grandparents come and watch Sofie once in a while and I like to try to have dinner for them. This is one of the meals I made ahead of time so they could just pop it in the oven. This would also freeze well if you wanted to double the batch.
Start by sauteing your meat and onions. Then add two jars of sauce. Cook pasta according to package and then add to the meat sauce and mix. In a separate bowl mix the ricotta cheese and 1 egg and until combined. In a 9×13 dish layer 1/3 of the pasta mixture, spoon the ricotta and spread, then sprinkle some of the shredded cheese and repeat the layer 1 more time. Top with one more layer of pasta and additional cheese and bake until cheese is melted!
Baked Campanelle with Meat Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16oz) package of Campanelle Pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 2 (24oz) jars of tomato based sauce
- 1 (15oz) container of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Italian shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1/2 tsp basil
- Cook pasta according to package and then drain.
- While pasta is cooking, Saute meat and onions over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add sauce to meat mixture and add basil, stir, and let cook for few minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix ricotta cheese and 1 egg and beat until combined.
- Add drained pasta to the meat sauce and stir until well combined.
- In a 9×13 pan, pour 1/3 of the pasta into pan.
- Spoon 1/2 the ricotta on to first layer and spread around.
- Add shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers and finish with the rest of the pasta and one more layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and is hot throughout.
Check out some of these favorite products on Amazon.com!
*Stefseatsandsweets is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. I make a profit on purchases made through the links to Amazon.com at no cost to you!