Since April showers bring May flowers…hopefully…I figured I would share the Rainbow Cupcakes I made for Sofie’s 1st birthday party/ St. Patty’s Day! I finally perfected my lemon cupcake recipe and am super excited, they were so moist with just the right amount of lemon! These would be cute for a Spring gathering or fun for a kids party!
Since we had her party on St. Patty’s Day I wanted a theme to go with that so I figured rainbows (pots of gold at the end…) you get the idea! We had rainbow colored Twizzlers, rainbow colored Goldfish, and rainbow suckers!
I hung all of Sofie’s month pictures over her chair with clouds at the end that we had at the baby shower!Anyways it was cute and the cupcakes were a success!
And I made Sofie her own little cake, too!
So here is the recipe for my Lemon Cupcakes with the perfect Cream Cheese Frosting! This recipe makes baout 30 cupcakes so if you have a smaller group just cut it in half! For help decorating, check out my Decorating Tips post!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter (melted)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lemon (juice & zest)
- 1 (5.3 oz) container of lemon yogurt
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 sticks butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- For rainbow cupcakes: Airhead Xtremes Rainbow Belts
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, zest and juice the lemon.
- Add the melted butter, 5 eggs, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients alternating with pouring the milk in.
- Once combined, add the lemon yogurt.
- Mix all ingredients until no longer lumpy.
- Pour into a lined cupcake pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in butter and beat until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Beat until incorporated.
- Add vanilla.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and decorate as desired!
- If making the rainbow cupcakes- cut the rainbow candies in half, fold into a half moon and place on top of frosting!
*StefsEatsandSweets is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I make a profit on purchases made through the links to Amazon.com at no extra cost to you!